Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Multimedia project

VoiceThread is a web-based tool that allows for the easy creation of a podcast. I created a sign-in, uploaded a picture of myself and a little information, and I was off. VoiceThread can import sound from many sources, including a phone call and your computer webcam. After using Yodio and having so many problems, this program was a welcome, simple solution. VoiceThread also allows the creator to set personal and internet-based pictures and video to the uploaded sound. You can also write on your pictures during the podcast, if extra emphasis is needed. VoiceThread makes sharing easy too. By clicking the "share" button after the podcast is finished, it sends the user to a one-stop shop for embedding the video anywhere you want (e.g. facebook, youtube, etc.).

This program is so quick and easy to use that I feel comfortable attempting to use it in my 5th grade classroom. For my work study, my students are doing original science experiments, and should all have original results. Instead of sharing these results through a series of presentations, I want to use VoiceThread to create a special end-of-unit portfolio. To do this, I'll take photographs of each student during their science experiment, and later, they can set these photographs to the sound of their own voices. I think this will help involve literacy (speaking and listening especially) into my science unit. Integrating photographs and sound will excite both visual and auditory learners. It will be a special treat for the students, and additionally, a way for young scientists to collaborate and share their findings. It will also be a long-lasting learning assessment that could be included in parent conferences.

Below I've embedded my VoiceThread podcast, documenting my travels through video, pictures, sound, and writing.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the video. Well organized, and very professional.
    Best of all --- you're comfort level to use this tool in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete