Thursday, October 6, 2011

My story

I grew up in Amity, a 1,000-person town not far from Willamette. I was raised on the same land that my great-great uncle farmed with draft horses, although our grape and wheat-growing operation was a bit more modernized growing up. A love of the outdoors was more of a pre-requisite than a choice, and my sister and I soon fell in love with climbing trees, caring for our chickens, riding horses, and even working long days in the vineyard (child labor laws, anyone?).

After I graduated from Amity High, despite my urge to get way out of town, I decided on Willamette University. I finally connected my love of the natural world to my education, and became an Environmental Science major. I remember being a bit surprised that my work study, tutoring 2nd grade reading recovery at Bush Elementary, was fun and rewarding. When I headed off to Ecuador for five months, I knew I wanted to continue on in tutoring and joyfully signed up to volunteer at a grade school. Then, during my senior year, I received a scholarship to teach science to fifth graders, and began to realize that this might be "my thing." After graduating college, I took a job with the Park Service, teaching environmental science in a remote town above the Arctic Circle. Despite the 24-hour sunlight, I fell in love with the community, the kids, and teaching. After returning home, I decided to save up some money by waitressing, making and selling pies, and growing a lot of my own food. I also spent six months traveling around Australia and New Zealand. After a couple years away from education, I knew it was time to return for good.

Right now, when I'm not in school, I love to garden, knit hats and socks, read, bake pies, and basically anything else you can remember your grandmother doing. I love being a student, but I really enjoy spending time in my student-teaching site (6th grade science), and practicum site (5th grade). I love teaching science, and hope to inspire young people to use inquiry to solve problems, scientific or otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. You've worked in opposite hemispheres. Incredible. What town north of the Arctic? We were in Valdez for a year (30' snow).

    WIth your varied experiences, and creatively integrating technology, science will just come alive to the max for your kids. They will be fortunate to have someone wish such a passion for the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Kotzebue, a coastal town above Nome. Not during the winter, though!

    ReplyDelete